Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thing 7: Communication

Well, I would have to say of the items mentioned so far this seems to be the most repetetive and the most pase of the "things" thus far.  Not that these communication tools are bad.  By no means am I saying that, but, all of the communication tools they mentioned are all 8 years old or older.  

e-mail has been around since the 1960's

IM has been around since... well I'm not sure when, but it has been part of the regular txting crowd for at least 12 years.  I have it set up on my computer at school.  I am surprized that all of a schools administrators don't have it set up on their computers for easy reference questions are "emergency" calls for help when talking to a parent etc.

i've had an IM account for years.  Especially since I played my first MMORPG in 1996.

TXT... this has been a standard feature on phones since 2000 or earlier.  a great tool.  I use it all the time.  Quick messages, when you are in a loud restaurant etc. 

What happened to Skype or oovoo?  two tools for the computer that combine the above programs as well as adding VOIP and document sharing.

All of these piece of communication are fantastic but these are not Web 2.0 technologies.

Web 2.0 is about adding to the collective.  all of the above are for two or more people and no one else.  they can be deleted and are often nearly impossible to share with the public because they are meant for just one or two other people.  In the case of IM... the conversation can be deleted as soon as both participants log off.

That is not to say these technologies aren't fantastic teaching tools etc.  but they are NOT web 2.0.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Claude,
I'd encourage you to try Twitter or Plurk. Pick a few "heros" to follow, and give it a shot. I'm micwalker there. I mostly use Twitter.
I follow Will Richardson, Ewan McIntosh, Dean Shareski, Vicki Davis and Daniel Pink, among others. They are usually good for a great tweet every couple of days...

clasigmund said...

You really don't want to get me started on twitter. I have some issues with twitter, but I will check them out.