Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thing 14: LibraryThing

When I was reading the 23things on a stick page about Library thing I had the whole... this has no bearing on what I do going through my head.

Upon examination, this is super cool.  I had an accout with a program called collectorz.  I got in before you had to pay for it (Beta).  Collectorz had some huge advantages, such as you can catalog music, DVD's and many other items... not just books.  it had a place to check out items to friends, keep track of quality etc. etc.  however, it costs money and I have let it laps and now what to do?

What Librarything does that collector z doesn't do is link the info to online sources.  I don't just mean an isbn and then tell you a synopsis and the author.  No it links you to similar books: books on the same topic, by the same author or books that are a counter point to the book in question.  This would be great to put the books I buy for my classroom to help determine how balanced my collection of books really is and where the holes in my collection really are.

This is a really cool resource.  So are all the libraries in Edina going to put their whole collections on Librarything and see what happens?  heee heee heee :)

No comments: