Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing 12: Social sites

O.k.  so maybe I need to read ahead before I start posting.  It just seems to me that delicious, digg, reddit and stumbleupon are pretty much all in the same cattegory.  I didn't realize that 23 things was going to seggregate between delicious and the other three.

I don't really understand why.  They all pretty much do the same thing.  In fact the home page of Del icio us says "social bookmarking".  This seems to be a bit strange.  

As stated in my last post I have been using these sources for a few years now. 

I am more of a fan of Digg and am Stumbleupon is growing on me quickly.  Not as much of a fas of Reddit.

The problem with these sites for me is that they become a HUGE time suck.  Not that the info they are giving me isn't useful and cool.  But they totally get me off track and then the next thing you know 2 hours have flown by and the origional goal for getting on the computer is still not completed.  (note why I am still on Thing 12).

Well, that and selling a house, getting a house ready to sell and getting ready for a wedding.  Whew.

I digress

The issues with these sites for student is that they are hard to focus.  YOu can't go to them and say "find info about the framers of the constitution".  They are however great for finding cool current events.  But I see them really as a way to boost my own knowlege base and to keep up with the younger generations.  I need to do some searious brain storming to figure out how to use these as a classroom tool.

No comments: