Friday, September 4, 2009

Thing 40.... Mashups

I always thought of Mashups as taking two unrelated issues and putting them together. For example, Actor/Singer/Writer Miles Fisher has created a pitch-perfect American Psycho themed video for his own take on the fantastic Talking Heads’ tune “This Must Be the Place”: In other words, a Mashup of Talking Heads and the film American Psycho.

Then the embedded vid on More things talked about linking of any two issues. It made me start asking, how is this different then linking a Google map with any form of plottable data?

I'm not sure how sites like "Timetube" are Mashups. It is cool, and I will use it as a resource, but not really a mashup, as far as I can tell.




Again, not really sure how adding "bubbles" to photos Or putting your flickr photos on a map is a mashup. I found the exercises to be a bit off and not really bringing two separate and often disparate groups together. Isn't this really a repeat of Thing 32?


No comments: