Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thing 28 custom home pages.


This seems strange to be on "More things". This, I would have thought, would have been on the original.

Although there are a lot of customizable homepages I (as are over 200 million others) are using iGoogle.

In fact, how did I get to this glorious blog of mine? A direct link though iGoogle.

You can set up your home page to do what ever you want and link to your most popular Blogs, web pages and even add widgets to help make your day go smoother.

Here is an example of my iGoogle page: (click to enlarge)


Note that on the left hand side I have two tabs. One for "Home" that has my daily tools and the other tab is for "Blogs" all of which I have RSS feed set up.

On my Home page I have my twitter widget, my Google Calendar that has multiple sub calendars (Claude, Claude and Sara [both Sara and I have full access] my game calendar my school calendar that syncs with my school outlook and Sara's calendar (that I can see but not change)

I also have a second category of Calendars for school, for checking out computer labs etc.

You will also note a task bar, weather, news and of course an IM chat window so you and your friends and colleagues can stay in touch.

I love custom home pages, but this is not very new. Perhaps the use of different widgets, but he concept has been around for 8 plus years.


No comments: